-->

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

John 11, 12 --- Hate your life? --- Day 6

John 12:25: The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in the world will keep it for eternal life

We are truly in the heart of the gospel of John, as Jesus holds nothing back in his last days of teaching. He has just ridden into Jerusalem, and will soon be focusing his teachings on the disciples before being arrested and crucified.

In this passage the depth of the gospel is revealed, as Jesus begins to explain his impending sacrifice. This message falls on deaf ears, as many Jews continue in their disbelief with hardened hearts. This is what stands out to me the most today. The disbelievers throughout the book of John are hit in the face with miraculous signs and prophetic fulfillment that Jesus is the Christ.

The truth is, they were unwilling to hate their lives in this world. They loved their position, power, and law, and were completely defined by their traditions. Christ calls them to something more, the willingness to surrender themselves and follow him: to hate their sinful life and give it up.

What am I called to surrender? How do we practice "giving up our lives" to Christ? First, it's our identity. What defines me? Am I willing to sacrifice it to be defined by Christ?

Again I see the theme of the gospel, in that Christ and grace are contrasted with pride and law.

Lord God,
define me by grace, and let what I once called pride may I call my shame. Help me surrender the things I hold close, for you ask for our all.

No comments:

Post a Comment