-->

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

John 1,2 --- What's in a name? --- Day 1

John 1:40-42 --- Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, "We have found the Messiah" (that is, the Christ). And he brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, "You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas" (which, when translated, is Peter).

I have many friends who have worked for the Christian camp Pine Cove. A unique identifier for Pine Cove staff is the nick-names they are given by one another. These nick-names usually describe a characteristic, trait, or point at something the staffer has done. The nick-names are usually dead-on, and always accompany a hilarious background story. Some examples are "Can-Opener" and "Swiss Army".

I can't imagine what meeting Jesus, the Messiah, face to face would've been like for Simon in this moment. In a heartbeat, Jesus has declared a new name Simon son of John (not the author, John). In a culture in which your name meant everything, this was HUGE.

Jesus named Simon Peter "the Rock", declaring not who Peter was but who he would grow to be.

I wonder what Jesus would name me in a moment such as this. What potential would he know of me? What name would he choose to encourage me and stir me onward toward a mission?

Peter's name reflected the faith and leadership he would grow into. Jesus knew it, and upon meeting Peter, immediately called him to the life He had prepared for him.

Christ has called us, knows us by name, and has not only given us a new name, but transformed us into a new creation for the purpose of knowing him.

Father God,
I pray that who I am be a reflection of you. I pray that the transformation be evident, and that the creation you've made me to be actively seek to live out the potential I have in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment