-->

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Matthew 15,16 --- The Mind of Christ --- Day 8

Matthew 16:13 - Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do no have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

The mind of Christ is an interesting concept to me. Attaining a mind similar to Christ means platforming one's attitude and spirit on the Truths of Christ. Seeking the mind of Christ means demonstrating the attitudes and mentalities of Jesus seen in the gospels. This is only made possible by the spirit of God living in me.

I liken this idea to the WWJD bracelet that was popular when I was in jr. high. The mantra asked "What Would Jesus Do?". I wonder more often "how did Jesus think?".

In this passage, Peter (with his regular zeal) challenges Jesus' teaching and prophesy with a scolding tone. Christ's reply may have stung: "Get behind me, Satan!". Jesus goes on to say that Peter did not have "in mind the things of God, but the things of men". Peter wasn't thinking right. He was thinking the only way he knew how. But the mind of Christ is revolutionary.

This scripture is nestled in the context of surrender as Jesus goes on to explain the transformational and revolutionary Way. Bottom line, he who loses his life will find it.

Surrendering in echo of Christ's sacrifice is the greatest means of reflecting the mind of Christ we possess. The perfect picture of this attitude is found in Philippians 2.

6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death—even death on a cross!

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.


Father God, by your power and spirit alone am I able to reflect you and your incredible mentality of sacrifice. I pray that you reign in me and give me the grace to think like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment