-->

Thursday, December 16, 2010

John 3,4 --- Becoming Less --- Day 2

John 3:30: He must become greater; I must become less.

In this passage, John the Baptist is responding to the concerns of his disciples. As Jesus' ministry spreads, his growing number of followers is noticed by John's disciples, who point them out to John as if they are competing. John's teaching and wisdom is superb as he answers with a wedding analogy.

"The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete". (28-29)

In other words, John is saying that the church (bride) belongs to Christ, and that his personal role has always been the same: to point others to Christ. Now that Jesus has arrived, his joy is complete, but his job is not.

And, to sum up his response, John the Baptist says "He must become greater; I must become less".

When I feel threatened, how often do I reflect this sacrificial attitude? When my expectations are shaken, do I maintain a heart of humility? John is exemplifying that there is no room for pride, and that in my own mind, He must become greater, and I less.

I often wonder what it would be like to have a mind tuned into the mind of Christ. I think it starts here: a heart tuned into the humility of sacrifice, becoming less as those around you become more. And it is in this heart that our joy will be complete. How cool.

Father God,
I pray that today, this verse stays with me. Let my heart be transformed into one of humble joy as You become more and I become less, and may it reflect in my relationships as I put others over me in Your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment