-->

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

John 9,10 --- Glory from pain --- Day 5

John 9:3: "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."

Today's verse truly jumps out at me, and is a fairly obvious and glaring issue that many believers struggle with: where's God when I'm in pain?

God has worked heavily in my heart regarding this issue, and while my conclusions may leave you simply with more questions, I know that the truths in them have dramatically shaped my life.

This verse follows the introduction of a man who had been blind since birth. In accordance with common rabbi teaching of the time, the disciples asked Jesus who sinned to cause God's wrath to fall upon this man. Such an emphasis was put on the law, sin, and failure that many rabbis taught that even infants could incur the wrath of God. Jesus immediately points out the error in this legalism by saying "neither".

Jesus goes on to explain why this man was blind: "so that the work of God might be displayed in his life". If I were to stop there, I'd be extremely frustrated, as this concept that God allows all pain and hardship to exist for his glory is not an easy one to swallow.

There are several things here to unpack. First, does God allow pain and struggle for the sake of revealing his power? Absolutely. The hard part is understanding that God's motives and purposes are completely opposite of Satan's. Whether or not our pain is God's design, a consequence from our own sin, or just a natural result of living in a fallen, sinful world, somehow it fits into the sovereignty of God.

Sometimes pain happens simply as a result of living in a fallen world in which sin entered and thus distorted creation. In the passage above, Jesus is pointing out that this man's blindness is a result not of personal sin, but global. However, God still intended to use this man's life story to display God's work.

This man's blindness and miraculous healing goes on to reflect an incredible parallel in chapter 9. Jesus contrasts the man's blindness and healing with the spiritual blindness of the encountered Jews. This man and his affliction truly had an amazing role in revealing the Light of the World.

When dealing with pain, I'm learning that God receives glory in many ways. For one, as in this example, God is glorified when his miraculous omnipotence is displayed. He is also glorified, as in the case of Job, when Christ's grace allows individuals to endure through suffering. Either way, God is glorified despite our presence in a fallen world.

Perhaps the greatest thing I've learned is that this issue cannot be easily packaged or summarized in a nutshell. The depth of pain and the turmoil of this sinful world is devastating, and it often causes real people to wrestle, struggle, and doubt. It did to me. But the closest thing I hold to my heart is that God is sovereign, unshakable, and worthy of glory, and in those facts I put my trust.

There is no easy step process to move through pain. These things I've learned are not magical, nor do I reflect their truths all the time. Having a bad day is common, despite the trust I have in God. By trusting in God's sovereignty, I'm able to slowly breathe. And as He leads me, I can process through pain incrementally.

Father,
I pray that in our lives, you be lifted high. I pray that beauty and glory in your name be seen despite the fact that we live in a fallen world full of pain. I pray that full trust be rested upon you, and that my heart continually reflect the truth that you work all things together for those that love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment