-->

Monday, January 17, 2011

John 19, 20, 21 --- Jesus' Death and Resurrection --- Day 10

No pride, no sugarcoating, no excuses: I fell off the devo-wagon. Part of devo-ing in published format means built in accountability, which I love. It certainly helps with consistency, but should not be my motivation to get into the Word.

This past week, I've dabbled around different areas of scripture. I concluded the book of John on two occasions, but did have what I would coin as a normal "devo" in which I could write.
Today, I enjoyed reading chapters 19, 20, and 21, and am just as overwhelmed by the content as I was last week.

As this is my devo blog and not a soap box, my goal is to never be preachy. Today, though, my devo stays with me. I do have one particular soap box to stand on, however. To those pursuing their own personal devo time and study, when we talk about freedom in Christ, no legalism, etc., that means no guilt either. Last night, I led a meeting of high school students. As we discussed our past week together, nearly half of the group shared with gloomy hearts that their time in the Word was lacking this week.

I want it to be clear that the pursuit of God's Word gives life. Christianity is not boring. And it is the Word itself and the driving relationship with Christ that compels us to read the word of God, and not guilt. Consistency is important, but not because that's what "good christians" should do. But because to be a Christian---a Christ-follower---the best means we have to follow Christ is the unfathomably deep Truth of God's voice spoken to us. I encourage you to crave the Word, and to miss it when you don't read it. But be aware that guilt and conviction are two different things, the former of which was defeated on the Cross.

To my students, know that God loves you with a depth that is not only undefinable, but so unconditional that your performance isn't even a factor. So read your Bible with joy, and thanks for sharing where you are at.

I've decided that Matthew will be the next book I dive into, likely followed by the remaining gospels. After all, what better way to kickoff a Jesus-centered set of devotionals? Get excited, join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment