-->

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Matthew 3,4 --- The Call --- Day 2

Matthew 4:18-20: As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.

It's hard to imagine this scenario, and the narrative depth that must've taken place in this moment. The simplest observation I can make is that these men, dedicated to their craft and livelihood, were willing to drop net at the instant Christ called them.

What a testimony. In the next verses, James and John not only sacrifice their career, but they leave their father behind in the process. I can only imagine the heritage of passing a family trade down the line.

And yet, it's so simple. Jesus called, they answered.

What would be my reaction? Would I hesitate and hang back? Would I see opportunity and jump at it? Would I be able to overcome the ramifications my decision would have on others who depend on me?

Jesus called, they answered.

Egocentrism is a fancy psychology term that is often used to describe the period of development in which one's understanding is completely limited by one's perspective. How often does my perspective and focus on self prohibit me from fully understanding the gravity of Christ's leadership in my life?

Tonight, we kicked off our missions season with what I would call an incredible jump start. Our theme verse this year comes from Joshua 5, when Joshua asks the Commander of the Lord's army "are you for us or against us?". Egocentrism. The wrong perspective. The Commander responds "neither". Clarity.

When Christ calls, he calls us to his way. This is of course no easy lesson, as personal surrender is incredibly challenging. The Commander's response shows that it is not about our will, expectations, or goals. God is not out to come along side us in that manner. Instead, Christ is calling us to draw along side his will as we surrender our own. And it is only by his grace that we can. Christ loves us so much that he pursues us, desires to be close to us, to reign in our life, expectations, and goals. I don't want to let my own agenda prevent me from fully enjoying and dwelling inside this gift.

Father, I confess my focus slips to me often, and my perspective is limited in my own power. I surrender myself to you and your leadership, and ask by your grace to rest in your provision. Thank you for inspiration and for calling me to follow you.

No comments:

Post a Comment