-->

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hosea 3,4 --- Hereditary Sinfulness -- Day 2

Hosea 4:14: "I will not punish your daughters when they turn to prostitution, nor your daughters-in-law when they commit adultery, because the men themselves consort with harlots and sacrifice with shrine prostitutes-a people without understanding will come to ruin!"

The passage above is amazingly accurate to our culture today, but I don't mean this in judgment. The truth is, the statement made in this verse is almost sarcastic in it's nature. Hosea is basically saying "look, you guys have gone so far off the map that your children don't know any better, so they can't be blamed for their behavior".

A culture so far removed from God is saturated by its own "knowledge", a result of the pursuit of its own desires for generations. Eventually, children born into the stray are void of any previous knowledge held by their parents, grandparents, etc.

There are many places in the world today where this is true. The "nature/nurture" debate of development leans to nurture when it comes to social attitudes and behavior.

What does this mean to me today? Hosea is crying for a revival, to repent as a culture and return to God so that generations would be born into the knowledge of God. To be deeply rooted in Christ is essential in order to maintain the knowledge of the Gospel in our lives, present in all aspects of my daily interactions. While my heart does not need a revival, it does need a reminder that being authentically who I am in Christ everywhere I am allows the gospel to reign and the knowledge of God to shine to this generation.

Father God, thanks for the knowledge of who you are and the power of the gospel. I pray that it reigns heavily in my life and shines outwardly as a calling to this generation, that those I am surrounded by can be drawn to you.