-->

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Matthew 8 --- The Cost of Following Christ --- Day 4

Matthew 8:21-22: Another disciple said to him, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."

I am hopping back to a block I missed in Matthew today, and I'm glad I did.

I've heard many messages and gleaned a wide variety of opinions on what following Christ is all about. Specifically, the idea of a "cost" to follow Christ seems to up for interpretation.

On one hand, it is argued that "taking up our cross" is the cry of a martyr whose desire is to make known his sufferings. On the other, the cost of following Christ is a legalistic expectation.

Both are obvious extremes and, thus, are both wrong. This scripture puts it plainly. As Jesus was rounding up his disciples, he called to this one. The disciple replied with a "yes, but..." and offered a very reasonable request to take care of his deceased father's body. Jesus' reply may at first glance seem callous and insensitive, but Jesus is demonstrating a very important quality that he possesses and I do not: perspective.

Jesus was actually loving this disciple with his reply by saying that Jesus has more life to give than this man could imagine. Jesus knew what was in store for him, and he didn't want the man to miss out on what would ultimately save his life.

Perspective is key, as God sees the big picture and we do not. I am reminded this morning that my perspective is drastically limited compared to the eternity of God, and that Christ loves me through the times I do not understand. This is the cost of following Christ.

I must be willing to to "pay" the cost of following Christ, which is acknowledging my limited perspective and sacrificing my own ideas of what is important while trusting in Christ. A high cost in my perspective, but eternally, a blip on the time line as God sees the whole story. I don't want to miss out.

Father, thanks for your perspective when mine is short. I pray that through your grace I can daily sacrifice my own will as I trust in your sovereignty.