-->

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

2 Corinthians 12

In the first half of chapter 12, Paul expresses a great deal of humility. In the first 6 verses, Paul describes himself in 3rd person as a means of not glorifying himself.

What was he so afraid to boast about? A vision of heaven, in which he learned "inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell". But this vision was not his point. His objective was to communicate his humility in contrast with Christ's grace.

In the the next four verses, Paul describes a "thorn" that was given to him to remind him of his weakness. Whatever the thorn was, it worked. Paul asked numerous times for it to be removed. I have seen myself struggling with a weakness like this, begging God for it to just go away without understanding the fullness of my inadequacy and weakness.

Paul got it when Christ says in verse 9 "my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness".

I often struggle with perfection, especially in areas that I consider to be a reflection of me. While there's nothing wrong with solid work or putting all of my effort into something, perfection can be a form of idolatry. Weaknesses are often a frustration for me when they inhibit me from completing something I care about with the utmost perfection.

Paul understood that his weakness was to be viewed in the light of Christ, in which his power is made perfect. Christ's grace is sufficient in my life, and in my weaknesses he is truly made strong.

Perspective.