-->

Monday, December 20, 2010

John 7,8 --- Nothing to give --- Day 4

John 7:18: He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.

I like that, the more I read, the more difficult it is to pinpoint a main verse to focus and mediate on. This shows me the depth that is the Word and how it truly is alive and active, and never ceases to be relevant. Today my thoughts seem to be more concerned with the overall concepts rather than one specific observation.

Two verses stuck out to me and connected a line of thought in my heart. The first, 7:18 (above), reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend, Jonathon, today. He and I are a part of a discipleship study group together with our friend Stephen. Jonathon has a devoblog for his personal devotions as well, and was excited to hear that I have been posting mine. He was quick to express that, while devo-ing on a blog is awesome, it is important that my posts always keep myself and God at heart.

The danger is writing our devos for an audience (albeit a small one). This fact can inherently change the way I am spending time with God, specifically if I treat this blog as sharing/teaching forum as opposed to my personal reflections during my time with God.

I'm reminded in v. 18 that speaking of my own is baseless and reflects ill motives. To be a "man of truth", I cannot attest that I have wisdom and knowledge to share on my own accord. Thus, my heart must maintain a sense of humility in that these devotional posts are for glorifying God and not in anyway about what I have to offer. Psalm 115:1 says it nicely: "Not to us, Lord, not to us but to your name be the glory because of your love and faithfulness".

The second verse from this passage that sticks out to me is 8:19: "Then they asked him, 'Where is your father?' 'You do not know me or my Father,' Jesus replied. 'If you knew me, you would know my Father also'."

This reminds me my intentions in studying the Word. I want to know God intimately. I want my students to know God intimately. Building this depth in a relationship with Christ is dependent on the Word. True fellowship and communion with God.

I am SO glad that the first book to dig into is John, as it is a gives me a comprehensive view of who Jesus is. I am reminded that not every devotional will a personal struggle be targeted. Today, I want to rest in how awesome God is in that he provided his Word, and that as I study it and share my thoughts, I do so with the intent on glorifying him and knowing him more, and nothing else.

Father,
thank you for your Word and the opportunity to know you through it. I pray that you continually build in me a passion for it, and that myself and others grow in our dependency upon it. May we crave it like water and may it transform us daily as we grow in our relationship with you. I pray that my motives remain pure and in truth, and that my tone reflect humility, Lord. Remind me I have nothing to give. Be glorified, Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment